Jim Spilsbury, PhD, MPH, is the Program Director of the CCI’s Academic (Educational and Development) Core.
Dr. Spilsbury received his PhD in Anthropology from Case Western Reserve University in 2002 and his MPH in Health Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For the previous four years, he has functioned as an Instructor in the Center for Clinical Investigation and Scholar of the Multidisciplinary Clinical Research Training Program, an NIH “Roadmap” Initiative to train future leaders for the nation’s clinical research workforce that is conducted collaboratively by Case Western Reserve University, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, MetroHealth Center of Cleveland, and University Hospitals of Cleveland. Dr. Spilsbury also teaches a course on investigating social determinants of health in the Clinical Research Scholars Program.
Sleep in social and cultural context, effects of violence on children’s health and well-being, effects of neighborhoods and child health and development.
- Spilsbury JC. Sleep As Mediator in the Pathway From Violence-Induced Traumatic Stress to Poorer Health and Functioning: A Review of the Literature and Proposed Conceptual Model. Behav Sleep Med. 2009;7:223-244. []
- Spilsbury JC, Korbin, JE, Coulton CJ. Mapping Children’s Neighborhood Perceptions: Implications for Child Indicators. Child Indicators Res. 2009;2:111-131.[]
- Spilsbury JC, Kahana S, Drotar D, Creeden R, Flannery DJ, Friedman S. Profiles of Behavioral Problems in Children Who Witness Domestic Violence. Viol Vict. 2008;23: 3-17. []
- Spilsbury JC, Drotar D, Rosen CL, Redline S. The Cleveland Adolescent Sleepiness Questionnaire: A new measure to assess excessive daytime sleepiness in adolescents. J Clin Sleep Med. 2007;3:603-612. []
- Coulton CJ, Crampton DS, Irwin M, Spilsbury JC, Korbin JE. Relationships between neighborhoods and child maltreatment: A review of the literature and alternative pathways. Child Abuse Negl. 2007;31: 1117-1142. []
- Spilsbury JC, Storfer-Isser A, Kirchner HL, Nelson L, Rosen CL, Drotar D, Redline S. Neighborhood disadvantage as a risk factor for pediatric obstructive sleep apnea. J Pediatr. 2006;149: 342-347. []
- Spilsbury J. Children’s Perceptions of the Social Supports of Neighborhood Institutions and Establishments. Human Org. 2005;64: 126-134. []
- Spilsbury J. “We don’t really get to go out in the front yard” - Children’s home range and neighborhood violence. Children’s Geograph. 2005;3:79-99. []
- Spilsbury J, Storfer-Isser A, Drotar D, Rosen C, Kirchner HL, Redline S. Effects of the Home Environment on School-Aged Children’s Sleep. Sleep 2005;28:1419-1427. []
- Spilsbury J, Storfer-Isser A, Drotar D, Rosen C, Kirchner HL, Redline S. Sleep Patterns in an Urban Sample of U.S. School-Aged Children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004;158:988-994. []
- Spilsbury J. “If I don’t know them, I’ll get killed probably”: how children’s concerns about safety shape helpseeking behavior. Childhood 2002;9:101-117. []