Rong Xu, PhD
Rong Xu is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Medical Informatics. Rong Xu received her Ph.D. in Biomedical Informatics and M.S in Computer Science from Stanford University, and B.S in Biology from Peking University. Rong Xu was selected as a Siebel Scholar in 2004 because of her outstanding academic performance and leadership.
Rong's research goal is to facilitate biomedical discovery and to improve health
care delivery by promoting efficient biomedical knowledge flow among biomedical researchers,
physicians and patients.
Rong's research interests in computer science include:
1. Natural language processing
2. Machine learning
3. Data mining
4. Graph theory
5. Ontology, knowledge representation and engineering
6. Semantic web techniques
7. Imaging Informatics
Rong's research interests in biomedical sciences include:
1. Personalized medicine
2. Systems pharmacology
3. Drug discovery
4. Genome-wide association study
6. Post-market drug surveillance
7. "In silico" comparative effectiveness and cost-effectiveness
8. Evidence-based medicine
9. Biomedical semantic web
10. Biomedical knowledge discovery
- Xu R, Wang Q, Toward creation of a cancer drug toxicity knowledge base (caTKB): automatically extracting cancer drug side effect relationships from literature. JAMIA, 2013 (accepted).
- Chen Y, Ren XF, Zhang GQ, Xu R, Ontology-Guided Organ Detection to Retrieve Web Images of Disease Manifestation: Towards the Construction of a Consumer-based Health Image Library. JAMIA 2013 (accepted).
- Xu R, Wang Q, Large-scale extraction of drug-disease treatment pairs from biomedical literature for drug repurposing. BMC Bioinformatics, 2013 (in revision).
- Xu R, Wang Q, A semi-supervised approach to extract pharmacogenomics-specific drug-gene pairs from biomedical literature for personalized medicine. J Biomed Inform 2013 (in press) .
- Luo ZH, Zhang GQ, Xu R, Mining Patterns Among Adverse Events in Clinical Trials - An Exploratory Study. 2013 AMIA Translational BioInformatics Summit .
- Zhang GQ, Cui LC, Teagno J, Kaelber, D, Koroukian S, Xu R, Combining Ontology Browsing with Data Exploration: Moving the Needle in Medicaid Data Access, 2013 AMIA Clinical Research Informatics Summit.
- Zhang GQ, Xu R, Luo LY Dissecting the Ambiguity of FMA Concept Names Using Taxonomy and Partonomy Structural Information, 2013 AMIA Clinical Research Informatics Summit.
- Chen Y, Ren XF, Zhang GQ, Xu R, Ontology Guided Approach to Retrieving Disease Manifestation Images for Health Image Base Construction. IEEE HISB 2012 (Best Paper).
- Ogbuji C, Xu R, Integrating large, disparate biomedical ontologies to boost organ development network connectivity. Data Integration in the Life Sciences 2012 (DILS 2012).
- Xu R, Wang Q, An iterative searching and ranking algorithm for prioritizing pharmacogenomics genes. Int J Comput Biol Drug Des. 2013;6(1-2):18-31. 
- Xu R, Wang Q, A knowledge-driven conditional approach to extract pharmacogenomics specific drug-gene relationships from free text, J Biomed Inform. 2012 Oct;45(5):827-34. 
- Chen Y, Zhang GQ, Xu R, Semi-supervised Image Classification for Automatic Construction of a Health Image Library, 2nd ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, 2012.
- Xu R, Musen M, Shah N, A Comprehensive Analysis of Five Million UMLS Metathesaurus Terms Using Eighteen Million MEDLINE Citations. Annual American Medical Informatics Association Symposium 2010. pp. 907-911.
- Parai, PK, Jonquet C, Xu R, Musen M, Shah N, The Lexicon Builder Web Service: Building Custom Lexicons from Two Hundred Biomedical Ontologies. Annual American Medical Informatics Association Symposium 2010. pp. 587–591.
- Xu R, Das A, Garber AM, Unsupervised Method for Extracting Machine Understandable Medical Knowledge from a Large Free Text Collection. Annual American Medical Informatics Association Symposium, 2009. pp. 709-713.
- Xu R, Morgan A, Das A, Garber AM, Investigation of Unsupervised Pattern Learning Techniques for Bootstrap Construction of a Medical Treatment Lexicon. Association for Computational Linguistics BioNLP Workshop, 2009. pp. 63-70. 
- Xu R, Supekar K, Morgan A, Das A, Garber AM, Unsupervised Method for Automatic Construction of a Disease Dictionary from a Large Free Text Collection. Annual American Medical Informatics Association Symposium, 2008. pp. 820-824.
- Xu R, Garten Y, Supekar K, Altman RB, Garber AM, Extracting Subject Demographics From Abstracts of Randomized Clinical Trials. World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics(MEDINFO), 2007. pp. 824-828.
- Xu R, Supekar K, Huang Y, Das A, Garber AM, Combining Text Classification and Hidden Markov Modeling Techniques for Structuring Randomized Clinical Trial Abstracts, Annual American Medical Informatics Association Symposium, 2006. pp. 824-828.